Monday, September 16, 2013

Healthy Turkey Chili

Between Spring 2012 and Spring of this year, I lost a total of over 30 lbs. A lot went into this weight loss, the key components being exercise and eating healthy. I've slightly discussed the exercise portion of my lifestyle change in previous posts, here's a little about the healthy eating part. One of my secret's to a healthier diet would be substituting high-calorie, fatty foods for healthier alternatives. My favorite swap? Ground beef for ground turkey. I have eaten so much Jennie O as a part of my diet that I'm surprised I haven't sprouted wings and started gobbling. That being said, it shouldn't come as a surprise that ground turkey is the star of tonight's meal.

Upon coming inside from the chilly, Fall weather this morning, I knew right away what I wanted to make for dinner-- Turkey Chili. Not only is it so delicious and healthy, but it's also super easy to prepare. And to top it off, it's one of Eric's favorite dishes. In fact, when I told Eric what I was making his eyes lit up, and he just walked over to the stove to get seconds. He's not into eating healthy-- it's just that good. If that isn't enough to convince you of the deliciousness of this recipe, I don't know what is. Did I mention that it's only 327 calories a bowl?

Turkey Chili

Makes 4 bowls
Adapted from Self.com

Ingredients
  • 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 pound ground turkey breast
  • 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, undrained
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Shredded reduced-fat cheddar to top (optional)
Directions

1. In a 2-quart saucepan (I use a large pot), sauté bell pepper and onion in oil over medium heat 5 minutes.

 
2. Add turkey and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. 
 
3.Add tomato sauce, beans, and seasonings.
4. Stir well. Increase heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. 
6. Ladle into bowls; top with cheese if desired.  
 Nutritional info: 322 calories per serving, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 g carbs, 38 g protein
 

There you have it, the staple Chili recipe in the Smith-Woods household. Hopefully it's a hit in your house, too! Remember, you don't have to sacrifice flavor or enjoying your favorite meals in order to lose weight, sometimes you just need to give them a little makeover. Also, be respectful of serving size; eating the entire pot of this Chili kind of defeats the purpose of it being healthy. Making small changes like these in your diet can lead to big changes in your waistline. Happy cooking! 

xoxo Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment