Friday, September 6, 2013

DIY: Burlap Banner

Bride-Day doesn't even begin to cover today. But rather than yours truly being the bride at hand, it's my dear friend Kristi taking the honor. I just pulled the last of 90-ish mini cupcakes out of the oven and am about to finish up the cake pops I started yesterday, but before that, I wanted to finish up this post and get it up before Bride-Day comes to a close (although let's be honest, every day is Bride Day). So anyways, all of this is in preparation for Kristi's bridal shower, which is tomorrow. She's going with a fall theme for her wedding and I volunteered to bake the desserts for the shower, and in doing my trusted Pinterest- research, I stumbled across this adorable burlap banner that would go perfect with her theme.

Thus started my Etsy search for a similar, and affordable banner to order for her-- no such luck. Don't get me wrong, I found plenty of quality contenders, but after shipping and handling I'd be paying at least $30; something that was hard for me to swallow knowing I could make a similar product for a fraction of the price. Now I've never made a burlap banner, but how hard could it be? To be honest, it wasn't a difficult project whatsoever, and its really only time-consuming once you get hung up on every detail-- like I tend to do. But if you're looking to make a burlap banner for less than $10 and spend less than 2 hours making it, then this is the tutorial for you.

Materials Needed

Burlap (length depends on how big you plan on making your banner-- I used about 1/4 of a yard)
Marker (I used a Sharpie paint marker)
Fabric paint
String
Scissors
Hot glue gun or mod podge

Step 1

Cut Your Triangles
Cut the burlap into the shape you want each letter to fit on; in this case I used triangles. I then used this first triangle as a stencil for the rest of the triangles, just so they were all the same size. I literally put the triangle up to the sheet of burlap and cut around it, until I had 10 triangles.

Step 2

Outline Your Letters
Using my sharpie I lightly outlined each letter onto each triangle piece. I used a special font and for some of the trickier letters I held the burlap up to my computer screen and traced from there.


Step 3

Paint!
Using my fabric paint I simply went over the outline I already established with the marker and made the font thicker and bolder with the paint.

Step 4

Glue on the String
I used a hot glue gun and drew a string of glue at the top of each triangle and then pasted the string to the line of glue. I did this one triangle at a time so that my glue didn't dry up.

Step 5

Hang and Admire! 
You're done! Great job. Now hang that bad boy up and admire your fabulous fall banner. ;)

I am trusting it will look much better at the shower than against my poorly decorated apartment.
Happy Bride Day Night to you all! Now off to finish the treats for tomorrow's festivities. Here's to a fabulous Bridal Shower for Kristi tomorrow, as well as an unforgettable Bachelorette Party tomorrow night! Gosh, do I love wedding season. :)

xoxo Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment