Monday, August 5, 2013

Half-Marathon Training for the Non-Runner



My current half-marathon training plan
Being that I just got done with one of my training runs, I found it only fitting to post about half-marathon training for this week's Motivational Monday post.

Let me begin by saying that I hated running prior to just last year. On my high school soccer team, the least favorite part of my day was when coach said we had to run laps or sprints. The. Worst. Outside of soccer practice I would run anyways though, just to condition my body and frankly, because it was the only way I knew how to work out. When I'd go to the gym I'd just look for the nearest treadmill. It's all I knew. And to be honest, that's what led me to training for my first half. Someone once told me that running was the best exercise because it worked every muscle of your body, and that just stuck with me. And now that I'm technically a "runner" (still feels weird to say), I couldn't agree more.

In Spring 2012 when I decided to get healthy and lose weight (yes, it is a decision-- you want to lose that gut? Want to make a lifestyle change? Make that decision. Nobody else can do it for you.), I started running. I jumped on the treadmill and don't even think I ran a full mile... at 5 mph-- if that. I felt terrible about myself. How did I let myself get so out of shape?! I didn't let my sweaty, crying, about-to-pass-out inner voice stop me though. Everyone has to start somewhere. And so I continued to run, and as someone who likes to set goals, I decided to train for a 10k. And so I did. And I'll never forget running that race and looking at the half-marathoners with such admiration-- and slight concern, for they had to be somewhat crazy to run 13.1 miles. Say what?! I had just got done running less than half of that and was ready to faint, there is no way in hell. Shortly after, I decided to run a half-marathon.

So the half-marathon training began in the early weeks of January. This meant treadmill workouts for the most part, until I hit the 7-8 mile longer runs and I just had to take my runs outside. And then there were the long runs outside, in the cold, bitter, Michigan winter. Ice formed around my water bottle, puddles from the snow seeped through my layers of socks, the trails flooded, my legs felt like they were going to give out-- but I never stopped, not once. I got through training and ultimately ran the half-marathon-- in my goal time, I might add, and it couldn't have been too bad because now I'm training for a second in September. So here's the wisdom I can share for those of you who aren't natural-born runners who "love" to run and just can't wait to log in your miles for the day.
  • Follow a training plan

    • I've posted two, the Beginner's one I followed the first-time around (below) and the one I'm following now (at the beginning of this post). Following a plan made all the difference for me. I felt obligated to log in my weekly miles and complete whatever task was on my agenda for the day. I did not follow my plan to a tee (i.e. resting every Monday, easy runs every Sunday, etc.), but I did make sure I accounted for each run; I just made it work for my schedule. If I had plans on Saturday, I'd do my long run on Sunday. If I wanted to get one of my runs out of the way on Monday, I'd use another day as my rest day. Cater the plan to work for you.


  • Start small

    • Don't overwhelm yourself and try to run 10 miles right away if you haven't run 2 miles in over a year. Gradually work your way up to that golden number, whether it be 26.2 or 3.1.
  • Listen to your favorite tunes

    • I created a running playlist composed of up-tempo, fast-paced songs that get me hype. This made my run so much more enjoyable and it always seemed that perfect song that really pushed me to run just a little faster would come on right when I needed it to.
  • Watch your favorite shows

    • This is what I'd do during my longer treadmill runs. I'd go in the morning and put on One Tree Hill or a good movie and just focus on that. I would get so wrapped up in the story line that my run would be over before I knew it.
  • Focus on how far you've come

    • This is true in life and also in running. Rather than dwelling on the fact that you still have 5 miles left of your 7-mile-run, focus on how easy those 2 miles you just ran were, and that you only have to do that two and a half more times. It's all a mind-game-- win it!
  •  Be one with your thoughts

    • Some of my best therapeutic sessions have been done during my runs. Think about it, it's honestly the perfect opportunity to be alone with your thoughts and get some rational thinking in. Take the focus off the run and onto yourself. Talk yourself through problems or dilemmas in your life and you'll be surprised at both how great you feel once you're done and how quick your run went by.
  • Reward yourself

    • This is the one that really motivated my inner fat girl. Once I got further into my training and was logging 8 and 10-mile runs, I'd think about how many calories I was burning (about 700-900) and think of how I could replenish my body of those nutrients it was certainly missing out on. A donut? Ice cream and cake? Ten things off the Taco Bell menu? All of the above? OK! Picture someone dangling cheese from a fishing pole... I was chasing it. Half the time I'd get home and feel so healthy and good about myself I'd whip up a smoothie instead, but it was the point that I could indulge in those treats without the guilt-- and I usually would on my designated cheat day. ;)

    I hope these little tips come to be of assistance if you decide to train for a race of any length. I'm sure I can think of more, and I will most certainly add on to this list when I do, but for now it's 9 pm and Shark Week so I must be on my way. Thank you for reading. :)

    xox D

4 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle! I love reading your posts!
    I am just getting back into running and I'm not quite ready to train for a half marathon. Do you have the training that you did for your 10k?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! Awe, thanks so much-- that means a lot! :)

      Here is the plan I used for my 10k training: http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kadvbeginner.htm

      And there's this one, too. http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kbeginner.htm

      Hope that helps!

      Delete